Tired but Happy. :)
Months of learning, weeks of planning, and days of preparation came together last night in a portrait photo shoot that (successfully!) yielded both my assignment photos, and a large stack of portfolio/professional-quality images. Some stats:
- 8 models (6 girls, 2 guys)
- 1 hour to set up
- 2.5 hours to shoot
- 2 separate sets:
- a high-key set with two diffuse modelling lights, primarily geared for “beauty” shots; and
- a low-key studio flash key light/back light set, primarily geared for “dramatic” photos.
- Hair by Sheryn from Hair in the City; Make-up by Kim Balaga.
- Took over 500 photos, in 22 megapixel RAW and low-res JPEG.
- That’s over 18GB of image files.
Un-Photoshopped image taken on the “dramatic” set.
I’d like to recommend my hair and make-up professionals to anyone looking for awesome stylists. They were promptly on time, treated my models (who are my friends, so this was important!) well by all accounts, and did a fantastic job. Thank you, Sheryn and Kim!
Un-Photoshopped image taken on the “beauty” set.
And thank-you to my models -my friends-, who volunteered for this to help me with my assignment and were awesome sports, even when I ran out of time (and memory cards! 😦 ) towards the end of the shoot and couldn’t photograph them in as many outfits as I would have liked.
Next step is to comb through the images, cropping, processing, and editing! To achieve the results I’d like for my assignment, I’ll need to photo-composite a few of my best studio shots onto various backgrounds. I did one for fun in about 10 minutes this morning. 🙂
So the work’s not finished yet – but at least this next stage should be a lot less pressure, and quite a bit of fun. 🙂
Finally, extra thanks to Red and Judy for easing my post-shoot nerves with a couple of first-class scotches. You guys always seem to know just how to make everything better. 🙂